An EMOM (Every Minute on the Minute) is a training tool that has shown to be very effective in training particular modalities. One area where we have seen exciting results is in the development of gymnastics strength. Choosing reps and scaling for the EMOM is not random, you should record what you do each time and progress as follows:
Example: EMOM strict pull ups
- Choose a rep scheme and scaling that is easy:
- 1 pull up EMOM with green band = 10 pull ups
- If that proved to be easy all the way through the 10th minute, add a rep next time:
- 2 pull ups EMOM with green band = 20 pull ups
- If that proves difficult, repeat it until it becomes easy, and then add a rep next time, continue until the following is easy:
- 5 pull ups EMOM with green band = 50 pull ups
- When your chosen scaling becomes easy at 5 per minute, reduce the scale and return to 1 rep:
- 1 pull up EMOM with blue band = 10 pull ups
- Repeat the process until you are doing 5 Rx strict pull ups EMOM for 10 minutes, once that is easy reduce the rest but keep the volume:
- 6 pull ups EMOM for 9 minutes = 54 pull ups (once that’s easy do:)
- 7 pull ups EMOM for 7 minutes = 49 pull ups (continue until you can do:)
- 10 pull ups EMOM for 5 minutes = 50 pull ups
- At this point we clean up the pull ups and seek perfect movement across all reps, once you have hit this standard, come speak to a coach and we will discuss further progressions with you.
The concept transfers across to other gymnastics movements, remember to only increase the challenge once the previous progression has become easy, and you will see dramatic improvement in your capacity in that movement!